Award Winning Chili -Jamie Deen
This chili recipe is comfort in a dish, with classic flavors, and rich meaty taste.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 oz Italian sausage casing removed
- 1/4 cup chili powder or less to taste
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 T dried oregano
- One 4- oz can tomato paste
- one 12- oz bottle beer
- one 28- oz can diced tomatoes
- one 14- oz can diced tomatoes
- one 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- one 15-oz can pinto beans drained and rinsed
Add olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions and peppers and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
Add the garlic and sauté until just fragrant.
Stir in the beef and sausage, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon, and cook until browned, about 6 minutes.
Drain the beef mixture through a colander. Add it back to the Dutch oven and stir in the chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
Cook for about 2 minutes. Stir the tomato paste into the beef mixture: this will "toast" it and give the chili more flavor.
Add the beer and stir up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer, and then add the diced tomatoes and beans.
Simmer on medium-low for 2 hours, stirring on occasion to keep the bottom from sticking.
Don't forget your toppings!!